Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Beginning



                Whenever one starts reading a blog, the question inevitably comes up – “Why am I reading this?”  Reasons can range from boredom to simply supporting friends and family.  As an individual who has only read a few blogs (one of which was my husband’s) I don’t really have a fountain of knowledge to pull from.  I’m going into this blind – hopefully it’ll be refreshing, most likely just kind of weird.  My goal is to provide a catalogue of sorts to which stay-at-home moms (or dads) can turn to when they need to just step away from the sometimes overwhelming task of being home alone all day everyday with their little barbarians (which I say with ALL the love).
                “Suspension of reality” – I thought it was a rather clever title.  I love losing myself in stories, and I don’t discriminate as to the form of said stories.  Books, movies, TV…ultimately it’s all the same.  Some forms require more thought process, others not so much.  I don’t really care – if a story has good characters and a moving plot, I’m all in.
                A little bit about myself:  I’m a part time paralegal, part time stay-at-home mom.  I work half days from home on Wednesdays and have off on Fridays.  My two girls are currently 17 months old and 3 and a half months old.  I’m probably a terrible mother since I don’t really do much with my kids.  My 17 month old, Bear, will have me read her stories – all the time – and I do so (though the level of enthusiasm varies).  My 3 and a half month old, Bug, is happy as long as I’m either holding her or feeding her.  She’s pretty chill – they both are, really.  ANYway, I love my girls but when I’m home with them I often feel the need to escape without leaving them alone and incurring the wrath of child services.  My escape of choice – stories.  Right now I’m on a TV kick.  I blame Netflix.
                As I already mentioned, the driving force behind this blog is to help mommies and daddies find an escape from reality.  I’m a conservative person, Catholic, and deeply devoted to my faith and family.  But I need a break sometimes.  Even if it’s just while Bear is napping and Bug is eating, I need stimulation or I’ll go insane.  Maybe I’m the only one – in which case this blog is simply futile.  At any rate, during one of my TV musings it occurred to me that it’d be nice to have a source of suggestions to turn to.   And thus this blog was born.  It may be dumb, but hey – it’ll (hopefully) keep me entertained.  And really, that’s what it’s all about.  It’s all about ME.  Deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment